Deadline: 16 January 2024
The George R.R. Martin Summer Intensive Writing Workshop is a seven-day writing intensive for mid-career journalists who have a story to tell in the creative realm and want to cross over into writing fictional prose. The aim is to have fellows arrive with an idea for a novel or work of fiction that they will write and workshop and leave with the foundation of solid pages or chapters.
The inaugural workshop, which will take place in Evanston July 10-17, 2024 will focus on writing fiction.
- The workshop is considered fully funded.
- Participants will receive funds for transportation to Chicago (economy airfare, or similar), lodging in a single room at a group hotel, and all meals during the program.
- Participants are responsible for their own incidental expenses.
- One week
- This program is designed specifically for mid-career journalists.
- Applicants should have at least five years of experience in the field, either full-time or freelance.
- This workshop is designed for journalists who have not published a novel or a book-length work of fiction yet. If you have published a novel, you are not eligible to apply. If you have published a non-fiction book or fictional short stories, you are eligible to apply.
- Applicants who reside outside the U.S. may need to obtain a visa to participate in this workshop. Medill can provide visa sponsorship for international applicants when required, but applicants will be responsible for all visa processing and fees, as well as purchasing NU-required health insurance for the duration of the program.
- Collaboratives can not apply.
For more information, visit Northwestern University.