Deadline: 13 October 2023
Prism and Indiegraf have partnered to offer journalism training and community media best practices to a cohort of 20 organizers interested in community news entrepreneurship.
The program will take place between October 25 and November 8 in three live weekly, 90-minute online workshops, where participants will learn the nuts and bolts of the editorial process and gain strategies to build their news platform.
As truth tellers, justice seekers, and community activists, they know digital storytelling can be a powerful tool for revealing underreported angles, building collective power, and inspiring lasting change. This program is the invitation for more folks to join this movement.
- The goal is to share editorial and news entrepreneurial skills with the organizers, community leaders, and writers interested in using those skills to develop their own projects and stories.
- This three-week program is ideal for anyone who wants to learn how to use storytelling to better serve their communities and activate their audience around solutions.
- They are excited to provide an informative and interactive learning experience for the participants through this program. Each session will include two parts:
- Live training sessions (1 hour each), which will be open for publishers in the Indiegraf network. These sessions will be recorded and available for a wider audience later on.
- Workshop sessions (30 minutes) with Prism and Indiegraf facilitators, which will be exclusive for cohort participants. These workshops will allow participants the opportunity to share, discuss, and develop any stories or media projects they are pursuing or hope to pursue.
What to expect from this program?
- An understanding of the basics of journalism and how equity-seeking journalists are redefining the practice to better serve their communities.
- Resources for how to experiment with starting your own local news source to fill news gaps in your community and make an impact.
- Mentorship from Prism journalists and Indiegraf journalist-entrepreneurs.
- Opportunities after the program to move your project forward, including applying to Indiegraf’s News Startup Fund for funding to prototype your media organization and/or pitching and collaborating on story ideas for publication with Prism.
- A certificate of completion, granted by Indiegraf and Prism.
- They especially encourage community organizers and writers who are underrepresented in mainstream media or living on the frontlines of injustice to apply.
- This program is totally free! The cost is covered by Indiegraf.
- They strongly encourage live participation in the workshops for the most engagement, and as such, they will be prioritizing applicants who are able to attend the live sessions.
For more information, visit Prism.