Deadline: 8 September 2023
The workshops series aims to introduce the participants to the creative process behind making a film, with a focus on scriptwriting for fiction.
Forty-five women will be selected to take part in the workshops. Participants will be introduced to scriptwriting and the creative process of filmmaking by seasoned women filmmakers from the Arab region and will have the opportunity to visit a Netflix international production hub in Europe.
The workshops will be held in Cairo, Dubai, and Jeddah. Selected participants will attend the workshop in their country of residence, with the exception of participants from Kuwait, who will join the workshop in Jeddah, and those from Jordan, who will attend the workshop in Cairo.
- In today’s evolving creative landscape, providing an opportunity for young women to immerse themselves in the creative process of making a film is an essential step to not only foster the development of artistic skills, but also to grasp the realities surrounding this process.
- Despite an increased presence of Arab women filmmakers in documentary films in recent years, there is still a significant underrepresentation of Arab women in the film industry as a whole, where the gender gap persists. This disparity highlights the need to empower and equip young women with tools, skills, knowledge, and critical thinking to bridge this gap, enabling them to engage in all sectors of the industry.
- Additionally, the scarcity of scriptwriting talents in the region underscores the urgency of such workshops in nurturing aspiring scriptwriters among young women, fostering a new wave of storytelling that authentically represents their experiences and perspectives.
- The proposed workshops address these challenges by allowing for the development of creative expression of the participants while also equipping them with practical skills to ultimately contribute to a more gender-balanced and culturally enriched film industry.
- Each workshop will run for 3 days between November and December 2023. Travel and accommodation will be provided when needed.
- Women between the ages of 21 and 27 years.
- Fresh graduates of film schools and/or recipients of professional training in film.
- Arab residents of Egypt, Jordan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, or the UAE.
- Committed to attending the workshops and to fulfilling assignments designated by the workshops’ mentors.
For more information, visit AFAC.