Deadline: 1 October 2023
This East-West Center fellowship is supported by a generous endowment from the Melvin M.S. Goo Memorial Fund.
- The Melvin M.S. Goo Writing Fellowship will award US$10,000.
- Applicants must be a national or permanent resident of either the United States or the People’s Republic of China.
- The project:
- May be produced in either (or both) English or a Chinese language variety (applications must be submitted in English).
- Must be published or otherwise made publicly accessible in the United States and/or China; potential mediums include publication in print, print or online periodicals, etc.
- Must be an original work; completed or published projects will not be considered.
- Must be completed and delivered (i.e. published or distributed) by the end of 2024.
- Project proposal (maximum six pages) outlining:
- the main narrative or premise of the project;
- how the project will serve the Fellowship’s mission of fostering understanding between the People’s Republic of China and the United States;
- the medium(s) in which the project will be presented (e.g. article or series of articles, book, print or online periodical, etc.);
- anticipated interviewees, collaborators, or other resources;
- anticipated travel planned for the project;
- a preliminary timeline and internal deadlines;
- the project’s intended outlet for publication or distribution; and
- the project’s anticipated audience reach (e.g. circulation, viewership, etc.).
- At least three representative examples of prior work (e.g. writing samples, digital portfolio, etc.).
- Two (2) professional references with letters of recommendation.
For more information, visit East-West Center.