Deadline: 15 January 2024
The IDFA Bertha Fund (IBF) Europe – Minority Co-production funding scheme caters to documentary projects in all stages that have a director from a country on the IBF Europe Country List and that are realized through international co-productions between at least one European producer and one non-European producer.
Through IBF Europe Minority Co-production support, the IDFA Bertha Fund aims to encourage European producers (see MEDIA sub-program countries) to participate as co-producer in high-quality documentary projects by filmmakers from Africa, Asia, Eastern Europe, Latin America, the Caribbean, and Oceania.
- The maximum contribution per project is €40,000.
- Requirements for projects
- The project should be a creative documentary with a minimum length of 60 minutes.
- The project should be in mid-production to rough cut stage. The production timeline and financing strategy should indicate that the film will be finalized before March 2025.
- The project should have a director (or directors) with nationality from a country on the IBF Europe Country List and who preferably lives and works in a listed country. Projects with a co-director from a country that is not on the IBF Europe Country List are not eligible.
- Requirements for applicants
- The applicant should be a minority producer in the project and should be an audiovisual entity established in one of the countries participating in the MEDIA Sub-program and owned—either directly or by majority participation—by nationals from such countries.
- The applicant should have demonstrable experience in film production and co-production.
- Requirements for co-production structure
- The project should be produced with a minimum of two co-production countries: (at least) one co-production company from a country participating in the MEDIA Sub-program and (at least) one co-production company from a country on the IBF Europe Country List.
- The share of the applicant co-producer from a country participating in the MEDIA sub-program must amount to a minimum of 20% and must be a minority share in the co-production structure. A division of 50%-50% is allowed.
- The co-production agreement or memo-deal needs to contain detailed provisions on the following aspects:
- Clear indication of the participation of each co-producer in the financing of the project;
- Joint ownership of all the rights;
- Sharing of the revenues between all co-producers (exclusive and/or shared territories); taking into account that the producers coming from the MEDIA Sub-program countries together have a share between 20% and 70%;
- Definition of the total budget, spending requirements and the event of over-budget;
- Reference to the treaties applicable.
For more information, visit IDFA Institute.